I feel an affinity for the pioneer women of yesteryear. Life prohibited communication from being lengthy, detailed, or effusive. And yet, they found a way to distill love and support into a single focus, a heartfelt gift: a casserole!
1. Brown hamburger and drain. Add tomato soup, Worchestershire sauce, and spices and cook for 5 minutes until well blended. Press into bottom of ungreased 9×9 pan.
2. Cover meat mixture with grated cheese.
3. Microwave vegetables until heated. DRAIN. Layer on meat mixture.
4. Prepare mashed potatoes. Spread on top of vegetables.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for approximately 35 minutes or until heated throughout.
There are some weeks when chocolately goodness is your only recourse. With nothing more complicated than stirring, boiling, and cracking eggs, I’m going to give you the secret to homemade gooey chocolate brownies . . . and you will never reach for a box mix again. Ingredients: DRY: 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp [...]
While most of the country is sweltering, we’ve escaped the worst of the heat in the Pacific Northwest so Fall is not quite so difficult to imagine. (But the flipside is we’re all on Vitamin D supplements from sunshine deficiency so don’t get too envious!) I associate my grandmother with the fall season. In my [...]
I confess, I’ve concocted some monstrous meals. Ask my husband about the infamous “Italian Meatloaf” and he’ll clutch his abdomen and point out than not even the dog would eat that one. There are other times I get lucky. We call my dump recipe PITA POCKETS and the beauty lies in not having to measure [...]
To say my British mummy was cooking challenged when she came to the States is a gross understatement. She had no reason to learn while growing up with the fish & chip shop at the end of the street and a bakery two houses down. When she found herself in the position of cook for [...]